Frequently Asked Questions

Answer all of your questions


DISS stands for Delft International Student Society
The DISS board, officially known as The Executive Board of DISS, comprises of a group of motivated international students of TU Delft. They are selected after going through a rigorous application process. They then run DISS on a part-time basis in combination with their studies for a whole term. Currently every board's term runs for a full calendar year, January to December.


There are two reasons for this. One is due to the extras that come with Short Stay Housing (SSH) and the other has to do with rent allowance. The basic rent for SSH and regular housing(what Dutch students get) is usually very similar, depending on the complex. But SSH has extras such as furniture, bed linen, fridge, cooking rings etc. These are all things that add to the total you pay in rent and are not found in regular housing. Then there is the rent allowance (in Dutch: huursubsidie/huurtoeslag). This is an amount paid by the Dutch government to persons with an income below a certain level to help reduce the burden of very high rent. So a student receiving rent allowance may quote you his/her rent minus the rent allowance when in fact the rent is higher than this.


Depending on what kind of employment you are looking for, there are a number of different places to find employment offers or job vacancies. For part-time work, usually while you are studying, it is best to search at a temp agency (uitzendbureau in Dutch). There are a few of these around such as Unique and Tempo-Team and there are some that focus specifically on students. At TU Delft there is StuD who focus on students but tend to prefer students that can speak Dutch; though it never hurts to go by and try your luck. For internships and jobs after graduating there is the TU Delft Career Centre with lot's of practical information about finding employment and a few job listings. You can also always go the direct route by directly contacting companies you want to work with and seeing what opportunities they have; the best place for this is always the company's website under their jobs/careers section.
If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen then no, you do not need a permit to be able to work. If you are not an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen then yes, you need to have a permit to work. Your employer must apply for this permit with the UWV WERKkberijf before taking you on as an employee. This is a very serious issue so you must insist and ensure that your employer has received this permit and has it on the premises otherwise there can be serious consequences for your residency in the Netherlands.
If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, there are no limitations on the number of hours per week that you can work. If you are not an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen then according to the restrictions on your study permit you can work for a maximum of 10 hours per week throughout the year or full-time in the summer months (June, July and August).


Feel free to contact us, we are glad to help.


Being a DISS member, you get access to all our member only events. Also, for open events we offer member tickets at a discounted price. Besides, we offer assistance to all DISS members in the best way possible ( advice for housing, translation of documents et cetera )

Didn't find the answer?